Programme BG06 “Children and youth at risk”
under the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism 2009 – 2014
Objectives of the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism 2009 – 2014 and of the Programme “Children and Youth at Risk”
The overall objectives of the EEA Financial Mechanism 2009 – 2014 are to contribute to the reduction of economic and social disparities in the European Economic Area and to the strengthening of bilateral relations between the Donor States and the Beneficiary States through financial contributions. In accordance with the Memorandum of Understanding on the Implementation of the EEA Financial Mechanism a total amount of € 78.6 million shall be made available to Bulgaria for funding in the following priority sectors:
- Environmental protection and management;
- Climate change and renewable energy;
- Civil society;
- Human and social development;
- Protecting cultural heritage.
All projects approved for funding under the EEA Financial Mechanism 2009 – 2014 shall be in accordance with the national priorities, strategies and policies of Bulgaria in the priority sectors referred to above, as well as agreements with the EEA and the European Union.
The aim of the program "Children and Youth at Risk" is to increase the welfare of children and young people at risk. It will be achieved through the development and implementation of a model of social inclusion and the provision of various services to children and youth at risk in Bulgaria in partnership with the Council of Europe.
In accordance with art. 2.1 of the Regulation on the implementation of the European Economic Area Financial Mechanism 2009 – 2014 (hereinafter referred to as the Regulation) the following programme areas shall be funded in Bulgaria:
- Integrated Marine and Inland Water Management
- Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
- Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy
- NGO Fund
- Children and Youth at Risk
- Public Health Initiatives
- Cultural Heritage and Contemporary Arts
- EEA Scholarship Programme
Iceland, The Principality of Liechtenstein, The Kingdom of Norway
Total amount of financial contribution to the program, including national co-financing – 10 153 074 euro
EEA FM contribution - 8 630 113 euro (85%)
National co-financing - 1 522 961 euro (15%)
Components of the Programme
Within the Programme BG06 "Children and Youth at risk", projects in the following areas shall be supported:
Component 1: “Youth at Risk”
The total budget for financing projects within this Component is € 4 972 056. It includes the following specific measures:
- building youth centers with the Quality Label of the Council of Europe
- implementation of effective programmes for social inclusion, healthy living and prevention of deviant behavior of young people;
- improving of the non formal education;
- improving the quality of work of the youth leaders and Roma school mediators;
- encourage volunteering to provide youth services;
- risk analysis of the development of young people and their needs
- social inclusion of the young people
- promoting of these services among the young people in order to get maximum transparency and accessibility;
- providing of technical infrastructure.
Component 2: “Children at Risk”
The total indicative budget for financing projects within this Component is € 2 475 941. It includes the following specific measures:
- activities towards improving of school adaptation of children from underprivileged, including Roma families;
- promotion of the involvement of the parents and society to the need for training and education for children after the age of 3;
- promotion and facilitation of the work of Roma school mediators within the community;
- appropriate educational trainings of the pedagogical specialist for working in a multicultural environment;
- improvements in infrastructure, development of educational and training materials.
Component 3 “Capacity building”
The total indicative budget for financing the pre-defined project within this Component is € 1 000 000. The Project Promoter is Centre for Educational Integration of Children and Students from Ethnic Minorities (CEICSEM). The Council of Europe is the Donor Programme Partner. It includes the following specific measures:
- training of staff for the youth centers
- qualification of the staff of the kindergartens
- preparation of Roma educational mediators
- preparation of local trainers
- preparation, translation and distribution of educational materials
- examination of the implementation impact of the project on the target groups
- evaluation of the project outcomes
Component 4 “Educational Integration, Health and Social Development”
The total indicative budget for financing the pre-defined project within this Component is € 359 240. The Project Promoter is Region of Krasna polyana - Sofia Municipality. It includes the following specific measures:
- Network expansion of additional pedagogical, social and psychological services to attain early integration of the children;
- Conducting extra training in Bulgarian language with the purpose of mastering it as a criterion for successful performance with the school material;
- Acquisition of school habits of the children by interactive training in multifunctional classrooms;
- Developing skills for a healthy lifestyle including healthy nourishment;
- Outreach work with Roma parents performed by the Roma mediator based on the project;
- Preserving and developing the children’s cultural identity.
- children and youth from local community aged 15 and 29 years old
- children and youth in higher risk from social exclusion and poverty.
- children aged 3 and 6 years old
- Roma mediators, pedagogical and medical/social staff in kindergartners, organizational staff of the municipal administration, parents.
Specific forms of grants
Fund for bilateral relations – funding for facilitating the search of project partners from the Donor states, participation in seminars, extending and strengthening of the bilateral relations between the relevant entities in the Donor States and the project partners, exchange of best practice, workshops and trainings. The budget of the Fund is set to € 152 300.
In 2015 the fund was increased up to € 387 300.
Fund for complementary action – financial assistance for activities, organised by the Programme Operator in order to strengthen the co-operation between the Programme Operators, exchange of experience and best practices. The budget of the Fund is € 175 113.
Management structure of the Programme Operator
The Ministry of Education and Science - Structural Funds and International Educational Programmes Directorate General, by External European Programmes Department, is responsible for the preparation and implementation of the Programme BG06 “Children and Youth at Risk”